Get Fit, Change Lives at YMCA Gym Nottingham
We are a not-for-profit gym which means when you’re working out with us you’re also giving back to others because a YMCA gym membership helps support programmes and services for vulnerable adults and children in Nottingham and across the county. Whether your exercise routine includes pounding the treadmill, climbing our ropes or lifting weights, feel good knowing you’re benefitting physically and mentally and others are too.
Gym Open 24/7
Gym Staffed Hours
Monday – Thursday
08:00 – 20:00
08:00 – 19:00
CrossFit 1871 Gym
Monday – Friday
06:30 – 20:00
09:00 – 13:30
Book your fitness classes and CrossFit classes directly by visiting our fitness schedule page or via the YMCA Gym app
Great Member Discounts
All YMCA Gym members can enjoy a fabulous 10% discount at the following local Nottingham city independent shops
Malt Cross – iconic city centre events venue click here for more
Shop Zero – ethical, sustainable quality goods click here for more
The Natural Food Company – natural products and healthy foods click here for more
Up and Running – Nottingham’s independent running specialist click here for more
Everything You Need To Know
We’ve been working hard behind the scenes preparing to reopen safely and welcome you back in to the gym. Here is all the information you need during before your first visit.
YMCA Gym is Covid-19 compliant following Government guidelines:
- Enhanced cleaning protocols in operation daily..
- Hand sanitisers available at various points throughout the gym.
- A pre-booking system in operation:
Gym classes – class places are limited.
CrossFit sessions – 12 members attending Open Gym and classes.
- Clearly defined social distancing throughout, with enhanced signage.
- We have moved equipment to ensure social distancing can be maintained and clearly defined queuing areas.
- Cleaning materials available for members to sanitise and wipe equipment before and after use.
- A member of the team will be on hand to answer for any concerns or questions and to help maintain a clean and safe environment.
Important: Guidelines when visiting YMCA Gym
- Although it is no longer a legal requirement to wear a face mask, we do encourage members to continue wearing a face covering while entering and moving about the various gym areas. Please look out for one another and be mindful there are members who are still vulnerable.
- Please me mindful of busy areas. Wait your turn if there are already enough people training in the area you would like to use.
- Please sanitise the equipment before and after use with the cleaning items provided. This will help us to maintain a #gymsafe environment for everyone.
- You will have access to the water fountain, however only if you bring your own bottle to fill up. There will be NO drinking from the tap, so please ensure you bring your own bottle.
- If you would like to speak to one of our qualified fitness instructors during your visit please drop by the reception desk.
- Come gym ready when possible by wearing your workout gear and shower at home if you can. However, changing rooms, showers and lockers are available to use if needed.
- You’ll find that the volume of the music is low. This is intentional to eliminate the need to raise your voice which can increase the risk of transmission.
- We are operating a cash free gym. Pay As You Go available if paying by card.
Further guidelines for CrossFit1871
- To keep everyone safe and to allow for maximum social distancing, there will be no more than 8 people allowed to take part in an open gym session or CrossFit class.
- All 1871 sessions will be limited to 50 minutes, which gives time to clean, put away equipment and exit the gym.
- If you are taking part in an open gym session, please follow the coach’s directions and that you remain within your designated workout space unless getting equipment.
- In each workout space you will be provided with cleaning equipment for you to use before AND after use. You will also have access to hand sanitiser on entry and exit of 1871
- To help increase air flow during the sessions, we will be opening some or all of the windows, and we will also have some or all of the fans on. If you find you tend to get a bit cold when the fans are on, please ensure you bring an extra layer so you do not get too cold.
- You will have access to the water fountain in the box, however only if you bring your own bottle to fill up. There will be NO drinking from the tap, so please ensure you bring your own bottle.
- Please ensure you wash your hands thoroughly and also that you use the hand sanitiser provided when you come back into 1871.
Booking a CrossFit Open Gym session
- CrossFit sessions can be booked up to 2 weeks in advance
- Bookings close 15 minutes before each session
- Cancellations can be made up to 2 hours before each session. This is to allow time for other members to take that place
- You can sign up for the waiting list if your preferred session is already fully booked.
- You can easily cancel a booking via the YMCA Gym app or accessing your account via ‘My Account’ here.
- Cancellations must be received more than 2 hours before a session is due to begin. If not, this will be classed as a late cancellation.
- More than two no-shows or more than four late-cancellations will result in a seven day suspension of all booking privileges. Any bookings made in advance for the suspension period will be cancelled.
- During this period, you can still attend the gym.
However, booking your favoured session in advance will not be permitted. If you wish, you can access the app/website to check if there are any spaces free at a session you wish to attend, turn up just before the start and if there is space available you will be admitted.
Gym & CrossFit Schedule
Gym Opening Hours
Monday to Friday
06:30 – 20:30
Saturday & Sunday
09:00 – 13:00
CrossFit 1871 Opening Hours
Monday to Thursday
06:30 – 20:30
06:30 – 19:30
9:00 – 13:30
Sunday (Uncoached sessions)
09:00 – 13:00
Equipment available in main gym areas
Ab crunchTricep extBicep curlLeg pressRear delt, pec flyLeg curl/extChest/incline/shoulder pressHip abductor/adductorLat pull downSeated row3 rowers6 treadmills3 cross trainers2 steppersSmall free weights 1-10kgKettlebells 4-16kg/1-5 kg med balls2 upright bikes1 recumbent bike1 spin bike2 steppers4 core matsSmiths machineIncline pressShoulder pressCable machineSeated calf raiseSeated rowPreacher curlSmaller Barbells 10-20kgDumbbells 2-50kg3 adjustable benches1 decline benchSquat rackLinear leg pressBench pressCable machine3 Olympic bars1 12.5kg bar2 curl bars1 hex barPlates 1.25-25kgPull up stationBosu ballTricep dip stationRings
Current Fitness Classes
- All fitness classes are included in all YMCA Gym memberships (except off-peak memberships).
- All classes must be pre-booked.
- Places limited in each class – see class for details.
- Exercise equipment to be wiped before and after the class.
- We will be operating a waiting list for all classes. If you wish to attend a class please add yourself. This will also help to inform us of interest in any particular class.
- CrossFit classes are included in CrossFit Gym memberships (except Open Gym memberships).
- All classes must be pre-booked.
- Places limited at this stage to 8 per class.
- All exercise equipment to be wiped before and after the class.
- We will be operating a waiting list for all classes. If you wish to attend a class please add yourself. This will also help to gage interest in a particular class.
YMCA Gym FAQs
Please note some of our services and classes are temporarily suspended. To review our opening times, current equipment for use and how to book a session, please see GymSafe details above.
Do I have to do an induction?
All members can request an induction when you join YMCA Gym. Please book at reception and one of the team will help you to get the best from your membership, show you where everything is and make sure you’re working out safely. If you are joining our Crossfit 1871 membership you will need to complete the 1871 fundamentals before you start.
Do I have to book to attend a class?
You must pre-book to secure your place as classes are capped. You can book up to one week in advance by downloading the YMCA Gym app for android / IOS, or by visiting our online fitness class schedule.
Please let us know as soon as possible (at least 24 hours in advance) if you can’t make a class you’ve booked so we can give your place to someone else. Unfortunately, regular no-shows will result in you not being able to book classes for a period of time. Plus, if you arrive late for a class you may not be able to take part.
I have a health condition. Can I still use the gym?
We recommend you take medical advice from your GP before undertaking any exercise. After this, talk to a member of our team about your needs and goals. All of our classes are designed so everyone, regardless of ability, health condition or illness, can take part. Please also make sure you let your Instructor or Coach know if you have any medical conditions that may affect your ability to exercise safely. Get in touch today to arrange a chat or ask any questions.
What if I lose my membership card?
A replacement can be purchased for £5 from reception or you can use the barcode in the YMCA Gym app.
Can I bring a guest to YMCA gym?
Yes, guests are very much welcomed at YMCA GYM. Speak to a member of the gym team regarding guest pass if your guest is interested in joining us. Alternatively, we have a drop-in fee of just £7 for a gym day pass / £10 for CrossFit.
I’m not a member. Can I still come and work out?
Yes! You can book a session using HUSSLE.
Our drop-in rate for a daily gym membership is £7.
A daily CrossFit 1871 membership is £10. You will need to have completed a CrossFit fundamentals course before using the CrossFit Box.
Can I store items in a locker when I’m not using the gym?
No. All lockers will be emptied and cleaned over night.
If you leave your belongings overnight, we’ll remove them when we do our nightly check. This will incur a £10 charge for overnight storage. Please note that our lockers do not accept the new £1 coins. You can buy key coins from the gym reception.
What kit do I need to train?
Wear something you are comfortable in. However, we ask you to come gym ready, dress appropriately and wear trainers. We have a water fountain at YMCA Gym so bring a water bottle and stay hydrated!
- How do I cancel my membership?
What happens if I miss a payment?
Our payments are now taken by credit/debit card. If you miss a payment or think you will be unable to pay, please contact us on 0115 952 8803.
Can I upgrade from a gym membership to a CrossFit 1871 membership?
Yes. We’ll add the difference to your current membership for the remainder of the month and increase your payments in the month after. If you paid ‘up front’ for your gym membership we’ll work out the difference for an upgrade. Just pop by reception and we’ll be happy to help.
How often can I train each week?
As often as you like. We are currently operating a booking system and you can book a gym or CrossFit Open Gym session up to two weeks in advance.
If your question is how many times should you train each week, this is of course dependent on you as an individual. If you’re just starting out, begin with a couple of sessions a week and gradually build them up. We would generally recommend 2-3 sessions per week for health and 4-6 for performance.
Please can I work or volunteer at YMCA gym?
We warmly welcome volunteers at YMCA Gym – please drop by reception to let us know your experience and areas of interest. For employment opportunities, check out our website’s Careers page or speak to the gym team today.
Caring for Your Wellbeing and Mental Health
CrossFit 1871 at YMCA Gym Nottingham
Join our Nottingham CrossFit 1871 community, a safe and friendly place for all levels of experience. High intensity movements designed…
Dynamic range of gym spaces, equipment and facilities offer something for everyone. Take our virtual tour now!
We offer a range of gym memberships in Nottingham City Centre NG1 – choose the one that suits you best.
Gym Fitness Class Schedule
View our schedule of fitness classes and CrossFit WOD classes to find a class at a time that best suit…